Social Media Policies
Personal Use of Social Media Outlets: As a member of the SM you are a representation of the student media web site at all times. The SM cannot dictate how its staff members use social media on their own time, however, the student media web site has established the following standards staff members of all levels are expected to uphold on all social media outlets. Staff members who fail to comply will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Do not engage in activity putting your credibility and that of the SM at risk.
- Do not publish content advocating, condoning or revealing participation in illegal acts.
- Refrain from participating in groups that have content degrading to any gender, group, race, sexuality, nationality, or ethnicity.
- Do not publish any confidential matters of your work at the SM.
- Behave ethically at all times.
Public Use of the SM on Social Media Outlets:
Certain members of the SM staff have access to the social media outlets (Facebook, Instagram and so on.) of the student media web site. It is imperative staff members use these tools with the same level of integrity they would for print news. The following standards have been established by the SM for staff members to uphold on all social media outlets. Staff members who fail to comply will be subject to disciplinary action.
- The Web Editor, Web Developer and Editor in Chief of the SM are responsible for the content published on all social media outlets, however the Editor-in-Chief should always oversee it.
- Publications on social media outlets are subject to the same scrutiny as information for printed product.
- The Copy Editor should check any story or post to be published to verify for factual, grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors.
- Refrain from using inappropriate language or references in any online publication.
- Keep social media outlets updated.
- Do not use the student media web site's social media outlets for personal benefit.
Office Use of Social Media Outlets
Staff members of the SM have access to all social media outlets, both personal and public, at the newsroom. The following standards are expected to be upheld by all members at all times during their office hours. Staff members who fail to comply will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Office hours are to be used to work on publication related assignments, brainstorming of stories, or any other contribution to the online or printed product.
- Personal internet use, either on personal mobile devices or newsroom computers, should never result in an interruption of any staff member's responsibilities.
- Downtime is never an excuse for excessive use of distracting social media outlets.